Register a NAVHDA Kennel Name
Definition & Usage
A registered kennel name is used by breeders to identify the dogs of their breeding program and lineage while protecting their reputation and unauthorized use of the kennel name by others.
A kennel name is a word or combination of words and/or letters, which does not exceed fifteen characters in length (spaces included). The kennel name can be used as a prefix or suffix to a dog’s name but will be protected from use anywhere within a name.
Only the owner(s) of the registered kennel name will be allowed to use the name unless written permission is given on the litter registration form.
The kennel name is protected from use on all breeds of dogs.
No more than two peoples’ names can appear on the application form for registration of a protected kennel name. Additional names may be added with a maximum of four names at any one time. At no time can another person use the registered kennel name without permission from the primary owner of the kennel name.
NAVHDA will not knowingly approve an application for the registration of a kennel name if that name:
- Is a name now used by a breeder other than the applicant, unless written permission is given on the registration form from the primary owner of the kennel name.
- Is a name considered by the Appeals Committee to be phonetically identical to a protected kennel name, including adding or deleting plurals or spaces.
- Is a color (by itself)
- Is any name, which, if brought to the attention of the Committee, and in the opinion of the Committee, is considered to be misleading or confusing or is considered unsuitable as a kennel name.
- Exceeds fifteen characters and spaces.
- Contains any initials that are commonly used titles; i.e. VC, UT, NA, or the words .com or .net
Awarding NAVHDA protected kennel names is at the sole discretion of the Registrar.
Automatic Expiration of a Registered Kennel Name
To maintain a kennel name during the 5-year registration period, NAVHDA membership must be maintained. If the primary kennel name owner allows the membership to lapse, cancellation of the registered kennel name shall be automatic.
- If the owner’s membership is renewed within 90 days of expiration the registered name is restored. After 90 days, a new kennel name application is required.